"While the end of the year hasn't quite hit yet, we wanted to share what we have done so far this year.
*First to start with last year, both WPAS and Franklinton Animal Control received our No-Kill Award for 2022. This award is a massive honor and a testament to hard work, dedication, and lack of sleep for all of our staff and volunteers.
*As most of you know our shelter has two contracted veterinarians, not only do they take amazing care of our beautiful pups, but they both work with our shelter, the Washington Humane Society, and many other local rescues to spay/ neuter parish animals. With our last clinic finally completed we can proudly say we have spayed/ neutered, Vaccinated, Microchipped, and ear-tipped. 223 Canines and 449 Felines. This is just in our shelter. That is more than 50 animals a month..
*So far this year we have taken in 149 animals with the shelter right now holding 15, this is almost double what we took in last year. If this number does not seem like a lot to you, please look at your 1, 2, or 3 pets and think about just how many 149 is, plus having 12-25 in your house each day.
*With these intakes we are so proud to say that for the year we are 93% live release rate and we can not wait to get our award for this year.
*Jingle Paws will be coming up soon (December 16th) after this point we will be closer to seeing total vaccines given but our guess for the year is 1,672 vaccinations given.
*We have seen a decrease in Heartworm Positive dogs in our shelter this year, this is all due to the community. So if your pet is on Preventatives give yourself a pat on the back.
*We have seen a 60% increase in Adoptions this year. Thank you to all of our Adopters.
*We have seen a 50% decrease in Fosters and Volunteers, we could double our double numbers next year if we had more. If you have any questions or think you may be interested please reach out.
*We have seen a mass amount of Illegal Animal drop offs this year, not only is this Illegal but it sets us back weeks in the shelter. Most of these "owners" not only did not ask for help, they never even reached out to the shelter. We have talked to many of these "owners" as we do our best to get every animal back to its home.
*Finally a few thank yous' from Kelsey
- Thank you to my Head Kennel Tech. without you I would never get anything done. You can read my mind and I have seen you grow. I am so proud of you and can't wait for next year.
- Thank you to my Animal Health Tech. not only are our animals healthy because of you, we could not have these numbers and success without you.
- Thank you to my Kennel Tech(s) everyday you come in, clean, feed, play with and watch these animals come and grow. We all would be lost without you. I'm proud to watch you go to college, get married, and Graduate. You are the foundation of the shelter.
Some Quotes from this year.
- "Did you touch my sterile area?" "Yes I did."
- "Your cat pooped a rat on my desk" "Well at least we know who does their job"
- "I need you to come kill this spider" "We don't kill things here" "I don't care they shouldn't even exist"
- "It's not my fault you hired the same person"
- "If you don't turn off that ringtone"
- "We were just rescuing a dog and got the police called on us."
- "You need to put the plastic on it so it doesn't get wet"
- "We have 30 cats to do today" "That's perfect"
- "She has peed 6 times in the last 6 minutes"
- "I guess that bridge is burned"
- "I don't need the remote he listens to me"