Around 1:15 a.m. on Sunday (October 22, 2023), St. Tammany Fire District 12 responded to a call for a house fire located in the 76000 block of Cameo Drive in Covington. Firefighters located a man in a closet and pulled him from the home. The man was transported to a local hospital where he later died.
At this time, the victim is believed to be a 62-year-old resident, however, official identification and cause of death are pending with the parish Coroner’s Office.
Deputies determined the fire began in the area of the fireplace where they found evidence of it in use with the flue still closed.
As Louisiana transitions into more fall-like temperatures, the SFM urges families to practice safe home heating practices. Those include:
• Placing space heaters 3-5 feet from combustible objects like blankets and curtains
• Plugging all heating appliances directly into wall outlets, not power strips or extension cords
• Avoiding the use of stoves or ovens to heat homes
• Not overfilling fireplaces/wood-burning stoves and ensuring proper ventilation
• Not leaving candles/open flames (or space heaters) unattended
In addition, before using heating systems and fireplaces, it is advised to have them cleaned and inspected to ensure proper function.
Lastly, while there were smoke alarms found in the home, it is uncertain if they were working at the time of the fire. The SFM wants to stress to all Louisiana residents that smoke alarms have proven to be the difference between life and death in a fire emergency, but knowing what to do when the alarm sounds is also critical. Have an established and practiced escape plan including two ways out of every room in your home and if you need assistance obtaining smoke alarms for your home, Operation Save-A-Life can help. To learn more about Operation Save-A-Life, or to register for a free smoke alarm, visit our website at lasfm.org or contact your local fire department to request a free smoke alarm installation.