The Washington Parish Council met Monday (April 25, 2022) evening and addressed a short agenda consisting mainly of tax matters. The first item was the introduction of an ordinance to levy taxes for 2022 at a millage rate the same as the prior year. A Public Hearing will be held on the ordinance on May 9, 2022. The other three items were resolutions approved for Fire District No. 5, Fire District No. 6, and Fire District No. 7 to ask voters to approve renewals of existing taxes on November 8, 2022. Richard Moody with Fire District No. 6 spoke in support of the renewal measure in Fire District 6.
In his report, Washington Parish President Richard Thomas
- remarked that the Washington Parish Solar Ordinance was now in place and complimented the Council and Attorney Wayne Kuhn on their efforts
- noted that the Bogalusa Balloon Festival will occur on May 19-22
- announced that on May 10, 2022, Southeast Louisiana Legal Services will have a “Wills for Heroes” event at the Washington Parish Sheriff's Office in Bogalusa for all First Responders. First Responders will be provided free wills, powers of attorney, and living wills. First Responders should call 985-893-0076, ext. 519. The event will begin at 2:00 PM
- spoke in support of the two tax measures on the April 30, 2022 ballot in Bogalusa
- reported on a recent meeting with legislators from the tri-parish area (Washington, St. Tammany, and Tangipahoa parishes)