At the Washington Parish Council meeting Monday (March 24, 2021) meeting,
- Henry Harrison and other members of the Tourism Commission introduced Patricia “Patty” Alford as the Office Manager, replacing Kathi Mayor who is retiring (beginning at 2:25 into video of the meeting). The Tourism Commission also provided punch and cake for those in attendance.
- Entergy Representative Patrick Hamby provided an update on noise abatement progress at the power plant outside of Bogalusa City limits (beginning at 9:30 into video of the meeting).
- Introduced an ordinance granting a contract with Amwaste of Louisiana, LLC for solid waste collection and transportation. A Public Hearing on the ordinance and council vote will be held at the next Council Meeting in two weeks.
- Approved two resolutions. One was authorizing an Intergovernmental Agreement Between the Washington Parish Government and the Village of Angie. The second was to accept recently completed sidewalk improvements funded by a State and Federal Project.
During the Public Participation segment, parish resident John Stevens addressed the Council regarding problems he is experiencing caused by the nearby solar power plant.
In the President's Report to the Council (beginning at 20:40 into video of the meeting)
- Parish President Richard Thomas provided an update on COVID-19 in Washington Parish, encouraged residents to make arrangements for vaccination, and encouraged residents to prepare for hurricane season.
- Public Works Director Ken Wheat reported that agreement is pending for the solar power plant near Kat Kaw Road to remedy drainage problems. Wheat also reported on major improvements being made at both the Courthouse and the Washington Parish Jail. Funding for the improvements were made possible by grants.
- Alex Sumrall and Donnell Merritt also provided reports.
Robert Stafford announced that a Memorial Day service will be held by American Legion Post #24 at Fisher Methodist Church Cemetery on Monday, May 31st at 10:00 am.
Following Council Discussion and a review of the Home Rule Charter Section 2-11 through 4-03, the meeting adjourned.