The Washington Parish Council met on Monday (September 25, 2023) evening in regular session. Prior to the meeting and as the Board of Review, the Council held a Public Hearing to hear appeals to the 2023 assessment: there were no appeals made. The Council then
- heard from Larry Frieman – Candidate for Judge Division A
- heard from Gloria Kates – Candidate for State Senator District 12
- adopted a resolution to authorize the parish president to sign agreements and memorandums of understanding between the Washington Parish Government, The City of Bogalusa and the Parish of Plaquemines for Washington Parish inmates housing due to overcrowding in the Washington Parish Jail
- adopted a resolution expressing the intent of the Washington Parish Council to re-adopt the residential anti-displacement and relocation assistance plan for Louisiana Community Development Block Grant (LCDBG) Programs, for the parish’s fiscal year 2023 Louisiana Community Development Program until such time as the requirements for the plan change under the LCDBG Program
- adopted a resolution expressing the intent of the Washington Parish Council to re-adopt the section 504 grievance procedure or the equitable resolution of complaints regarding the requirements of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Section 504 (24 CFR Part 8-June 2, 1988) in compliance with requirements of a Louisiana Community Development Block Grant for Fiscal Year 2023
- during Public Participation, heard from Patricia Harvey with criticisms of the Council
The Council then entered into executive session under La. R.S. 42:17A(2) with regard to the matter of “St. Tammany Parish Government, a Political Subdivision of the State of Louisiana versus Warren Montgomery, et al., Docket No. 202215504, Div. A., 22nd Judicial District Court, Parish of St. Tammany, State of Louisiana”. Following the executive session, the Council approved a resolution employing and providing compensation for special legal counsel in the matter that is related to mandated expenses.
During the President's Report (beginning at 25:05 into the video), Parish President Thomas advised that the Washington Parish Fair Flag Raising Ceremony will be at 10:00 AM on September 29th in Franklinton at the Courthouse, that the Flag Raising Ceremony will be at 10:00 AM on October 4th in Bogalusa at Bogalusa City Hall, that the Washington Parish Fair will be from October 18th through 22nd, and that early voting for the October 14th election will be from September 30th through October 7th. Reports were also provided by Finance Director Donna Graham, Transportation Manager Danny Knight, and by Alex Sumrall. These reports contained very valuable information.
Following additional comments from Council Members, the meeting adjourned.
The next meeting will be held on Monday, October 10, 2023