The Washington Parish Council met Monday (September 13, 2021) evening and adopted one Ordinance, introduced five Ordinances, approved five Resolutions, and heard reports from Parish President Richard Thomas and his staff (beginning at 23:40 into the video).
President Thomas provided an COVID-19 update, advised that per his request the burn ban was lifted, praised the work of WPOHSEP Director Breland and her assistant Jordan Dykes, and thanked the parish's maintenance workers and administrative staff and Council members who “were embedded with us”. Thomas also provided information on power restoration, debris pickup, the problem with garbage pickup, and approval of the “Blue Roof” program. WPOHSEP Director Bobby Jo Breland provided a report on the response to Hurricane Ida, Finance Director Graham reported that FEMA assistance has been approved, Public Works Director Wheat praised the work of WPG employees and the Council members and reported on some of the work performed. Alex Sumrall reported that bridge assessments had found no damage and Sumrall also reported on improvements in the Courthouse.
The ordinance approved was the subject of an earlier Public Hearing and approval was given to facilitate the sale of 0.266 acres.
Each of the ordinances introduced will have a Public Hearing on September 27, 2021 and be voted on at that time. They include
- an ordinance to revise the Washington Parish Development Ordinance, revising Article 3 Manufactured Housing and Mobile Home/RV Parks of Section 3-1 Manufactured Home Compatibility Standards
- an ordinance to revise the Washington Parish Development Ordinance, Revising Article 4
- an ordinance adopting Article 6 Mines and Mining, Section 8, Close Out of Mines and Mining Operations as an addition to the Washington Parish Development Ordinance
- an ordinance adopting Article 8, Modular Housing as an addition to the Washington Parish Development Ordinance
- an ordinance adopting Article 10, Telecommunication Towers as an addition to the Washington Parish Development Ordinance
Resolutions approved included
- a resolution authorizing the filing of an application with LDOTD for a grant under any of the following FTA programs managed through Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development
- a resolution of appointment for the Washington Parish Fire District No. 4. Board of Directors
- a resolution authorizing the Parish President to sign an agreement between Meyer Engineers, LTD and Washington Parish Government to provide engineering services for sidewalk construction in downtown Franklinton
- a resolution to authorize the Parish President to sign agreements for funding of sidewalks in downtown Franklinton
- a resolution authorizing the President to engage the entity making the lowest quote for emergency mosquito aerial ultra-low volume spraying services and sign agreements necessary for such services due to the occurrence of an extreme public emergency