The Washington Parish Council met at 6:00 PM on April 26, 2021 and heard an update from Entergy, acted on six ordinances, introduced five ordinances, adopted two resolutions, heard concerns from the public, heard the President's Report (including the reading and presentation of two proclamations), and conducted a review of part of the Home Rule Charter.
Entergy Representative Patrick Hamby provided an update on the progress of noise abatement efforts at the power plant outside of Bogalusa. Questions were asked and comments made by members of the Council and by nearby resident Perry Mickenheim. (beginning at 3:05 into video of the meeting)
Six ordinances, previously introduced and Public Hearings having been held, were acted on (beginning at 12:25 into video of the meeting)
- Two were approved to facilitate the sale of two pieces of property by Washington Parish Government. One parcel was 40.34 acres and the other was approximately 11 acres.
- One was approved related to a community development block grant for Bogalusa Lusa Water Works District.
- One was approved for WPG to apply for and administer a grant through the Louisiana Community Development Block Grant – Coronavirus (LCDBG-CV) HVAC improvements program
- Two were approved for acquisition of property and to execute a Conservation Servitude with the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
Five ordinances were introduced that will have Public Hearings and considered for approval at the next meeting on May 10, 2021. (beginning at 18:35 into video of the meeting)
- One to levy taxes for 2021 millage at the same rate as prior year on property subject to taxation in Washington Parish.
- Three to accept roads as parish roads: Déjà Vu Lane, Poole Drive, David Drive, Kelli Lane, and Denis Road (sometimes referred to as Denise Road).
- One to abandon 0.15 miles of Robert Stuart Road, Parish Road No. 5-153.
Two resolutions were adopted (beginning at 20:35 into video of the meeting)
- One was agreeing to accept State Roads from the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Road Transfer Program.
- One was in Support of the Application to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Recreational Trails Program for Louisiana (FRTPL) by the Northshore Off Road Bicycling Association For Grants to Federal, State, Local Government Agencies, Non-Profit Organizations and Commercial Entities to Acquire, Develop and/or Maintain Motorized and Non-Motorized Trails.
During Public Participation, resident Richard Berry addressed the Council regarding Riverside Medical Center's failure to accept People's Health Insurance. (beginning at 34:45 into video of the meeting)
Washington Parish President Richard Thomas presented his report (beginning at 38:30 into video of the meeting)
- Thomas read and presented a Proclamation Honoring the Washington Parish Library’s 75th Anniversary.
- Thomas read and presented a Proclamation Honoring Robert Harrison and the Harrison Racing Team for winning the Gulfport Dragway Ford vs. Chevy Dragster Class Competition in March of this year.
- Thomas provided an update and comments on COVID-19 in Washington Parish.
- Brief comments were provided by Finance Director Donna Graham, Public Works Director Ken Wheat, and Transportation Supervisor Donnell Merritt.
The meeting was concluded with a review of the Home Rule Charter, Section 1-01 through 2-10 -24. (beginning at 57:50 into video of the meeting)