"Given the anticipated wintry conditions over the next several days, I am urging all Washington Parish residents to begin preparing now by wrapping water pipes, covering outdoor plants and making a plan to bring in any outdoor pets. With Monday's rain and overnight freezing temperatures, slick spots could develop on roadways. Use caution when traveling Monday night into Tuesday morning, especially over bridges where the likelihood of ice is higher. Lastly, considering the numerous fire fatalities across Louisiana so far in 2021, I am encouraging everyone to be mindful when using heating appliances like space heaters or wood stoves. If using a space heater or wood stove, please follow these tips:
- Use a space heater with a tip-over-off sensor and overheating sensor.
- Leave a 3-5 foot buffer around the space heater.
- Plug space heaters directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord!
- Don't leave candles or space heaters unattended.
- Never use a traditional stove as a heater.
- Don't overfill fireplaces or wood-burning stoves.
- Check your smoke alarms to ensure they are in working order!
For further weather updates and tips on how to prepare for the cold front, residents should monitor local news outlets and the parish's Emergency Preparedness Office Facebook page along with the Washington Parish Government's Facebook page."
Richard N. Thomas, Jr.
Washington Parish President