Recognizing a traffic safety issue affecting the students and others in the Thomas community, Dr. Jerry Thomas and his wife Lou Ann Thomas stepped up to resolve the problem by donating land adjacent to the school to the Washington Parish School System. The generous donation was recognized during the Washington Parish School Board Meeting last Thursday (November 12, 2020). View the video segment below.
But Dr. Thomas did not stop there. He said that a need exists for early childhood education for the Thomas, Pine, Hackley and Stateline communities. He said, "you don't need a physician to tell you that the formative years of brain development is the ages of 2, 3, and 4". To assist, Dr. Thomas offered to donate whatever land that is needed adjacent to the school to make it happen.
In his comments accepting the honor, Dr. Thomas recognized the efforts of Washington Parish President Richard Thomas and Thomas Elementary School Principal Steve Knight in facilitating the process.
In other business,
- the family of Harold Varnado were presented a recognition award for Varnado's services as a
School Resource Officer (pictured above left)
- School Resource Officers Lionel Mark (WPSO), John Herring (FPD), and Ernie Corkern (FPD) were presented awards for their services (pictured above right)
- approved the September 2020 Financial Statements
- postponed action on Request for Proposals for an integrated Electronic Access Control System, Integrated Building Wide Alerting System, and Integrated Security Camera System-CCTV
- approved the second allocations to schools for the 2020/2021 operations budget
- approved restricted allocations for some schools in lieu of paying for water/sewage
- approved a purchase agreement for the purchase of seven buses at a cost of $82,494.84 each
- heard and approved the Personnel Report
- approved Transportation Adjustments
- heard comments from members of the board and adjourned.