Some amazingly accomplished students from Washington Parish were recognized for their accomplishments at last week's (May 18, 2023) Washington Parish School Board meeting.
First to be recognized were three young men from Franklinton High School who created a company they named Lagniappe Lures and represented Louisiana in the Jobs for Graduates national competition in Orlando, Florida.
Next to be recognized were students from Mt. Hermon School. Junior Shunna Williams was honored for her many accomplishments that included winning a Bronze Medal at the Louisiana State Track and Field Event. Also recognized from Mt. Hermon School were State Young Author’s Winners.
Washington Parish Youth Coalition students were recognized and made a presentation about their organization and about their recent trip to Washington, D.C.
Click here for video of the entire meeting
In other business, the Board
- heard a presentation by Gibson Consulting Group
- approved March, 2023 financial statements
- approved recommended millage rates
- tabled an item dealing with a change of rate paid to drivers of district-owned buses for extra-curricular overnight bus trips
- approved a recommended change in insurance payments to Office of Group Benefits for new retirees
- received an update on Early Childhood Network. Vacancies exist and parents are encouraged to enroll their children now to enable teacher allocation
- discussed and approved student transfers for the 2023/2024 school year
- discussed and approved recommended Student Code of Conduct. Most of the discussion regarded a ban of earrings for male students. In the end, the Student Code of Conduct was approved which included the ban
- discussed and approved bids received for the School Violence Prevention Program 2023
- discussed and approved bids received for Franklinton Jr. High Interior remodel. The bid was in the amount of $1,152,000.00.
- received and approved the Personnel Report and Transportation Adjustments
Following the Superintendent's Report and comments from Board Members, the meeting adjourned.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.