The Washington Parish Council began meetings Monday (March 14, 2022) evening with a 5:00 PM Special Meeting to discuss the proposed Utility Scale Solar Project Facilities Ordinance and then the Council met at 6:00 PM in regular session.
The issue of regulating solar panel projects has been a complex and controversial topic at several Council meetings over the past year. Click here for related stories and video The Council's focus has been to be transparent, receive input from all interested parties and prepare a comprehensive ordinance. The Concerned Citizens of Washington Parish have been at the forefront in asking questions and making suggestions. At Monday's meeting, the organization's spokesperson expressed support for the resulting ordinance. Click here for video of the Special Meeting
During the regular session, the Council
- introduced the Utility Scale Solar Project Facilities Ordinance. The ordinance will have a Public Hearing and Council vote on March 28, 2022
- introduced an ordinance to amend the 2022 Annual Operating Budget- Road Maintenance and Road Capital Project Funds
- adopted a resolution to accept the lowest bid and to authorize the Parish President to sign an agreement between Lowe Brothers, L.L.C. and Washington Parish Government for asphalt to overlay on B F Roberts Rd., Martin Rd. (Mt. Hermon), Buckley Coon Rd., E, Ford Rd., Lonnie Duncan Rd., Thomas Cryer Rd., Austin Varnado Rd., Smith Wallace Rd., West Yates Rd., North Yates Rd., Jim Edward Rd., Johnny Martin Rd., Conrad Seals Rd., Mike Thomas Rd., Frank Kennedy Rd., Henry Kennedy Rd., Nelson Rd., Carnegie Rd., Hayes Creek Rd., Bluebird Rd., Sam Smith Rd., C Corkern Rd., Crawford Rd., Hammond Sylvest Rd., Sylvest Rd., Leblanc Rd., Martin Rd. (Varnado) , Mohon Rd
- adopted a resolution in support of a special ad valorem tax in the City of Bogalusa for payment of costs of garbage disposal
- adopted a resolution authorizing the Washington Parish Government to apply for and administer a grant through the Louisiana Governor’s Assistance Program (LGAP), and
- heard reports from Parish President Thomas and his staff (see the video beginning at 8:45).