When they met Monday (December 20, 2021) evening, the Washington Parish Council approved resolutions that are renewals of the Parish's commitment to assist the governmental entities within the parish. By intergovernmental agreements, the Town of Franklinton, the City of Bogalusa, and the villages of Varnado and Angie pay material costs associated with their projects and Parish Government supplies the equipment and manpower. The Council also
- approved resolutions of appointment for Fire District No. 8. Board of Directors, Fire District No. 4. Board of Directors, Fire District No. 7. Board of Directors, and Fire District No. 3. Board of Directors
- authorized the Parish President to sign an agreement between Meyer Engineers, LTD and Washington Parish Government to provide engineering services for sidewalk construction in downtown Franklinton through State Project No. H014913
- authorized the Parish President to sign an intergovernmental agreement with the Town of Franklinton for sidewalk improvements in downtown Franklinton through State Project No. H.014913
- authorized the allocation of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds for the extension of broadband services in Washington Parish and
- adopted the 2022 Annual Operating Budget of the Washington Parish Tourism Commission.
Parish President Thomas (beginning at 16:00 into video of the meeting), read and presented a Proclamation to Gary Cooper Magee in recognition of his 61 years of coaching, teaching, mentoring and leading members of the City of Bogalusa, the Town of Franklinton and the St. Tammany and Washington Parishes. In addition, Thomas provided an update on COVID 19, Public Works Director Ken Wheat and Transportation Manager Donnell Merritt reported and commented on achievements during 2021, as did President Thomas. Their comments primarily recognized the contributions by parish government employees.
Attorney Wayne Kuhn (beginning at 37:30 into the video) reported on the progress of a draft of an ordinance being prepared by a contracted law firm. The draft is designed to guide the Council in regulating proposed solar power projects. Receipt of the draft is expected soon.