The Washington Parish Council met Monday (November 8, 2021) evening and faced a full agenda, approving two Ordinances and eight Resolutions and hearing reports from Parish President Richard Thomas and his staff.
Ordinances adopted were
- an ordinance to amend the 2021 Annual Operating Budget for the Washington Parish Government and
- an ordinance adding Nobles Cemetery Road to the “No Thru Truck Routes” ordinance
Resolutions adopted included
- a resolution authorizing Washington Parish to join with other governmental units in a settlement agreement in which funds will be disbursed from a settlement of an opiod lawsuit. The Parish will receive funds (no dollar amount mentioned) for treatment and abatement of opiod addiction
- a resolution of reappointing Kenneth Gill to the Mount Hermon Water District Board of Directors
- a resolution of appointing Christopher Brent Jones to the Washington Parish Communication Board of Directors
- a resolution adopting the Washington Parish Multi Jurisdiction Hazard Mitigation Plan 2021
- two resolutions of appointment for the Bogue Lusa Waterworks District Board of Directors. Jimmy Willis was reappointed and Marshall Rudolph Winstead was appointed
- a resolution reappointing Gary Pierce to the Gas Utility District No. 1. Board of Directors, and
- a resolution reappointing Freddy Jefferson to the Varnado Water Works District Board of Directors.
President Thomas and his staff presented reports beginning at 16:20 into video of the meeting. President Thomas provided an update on COVID-19 in Washington Parish, provided an update on improving broadband service in Washington Parish, remarked on the great turnout at the Veterans Memorial Park on November 6th for the trail run fundraiser, encouraged all to attend some of the many Veterans Day ceremonies, and advised of the Lance Corporal Larry Wells Memorial Highway Dedication Ceremony to be held at 10:00 AM on November 20th at the Mt. Hermon School Gymnasium. Highway 38 from Clifton to the Tangipahoa Parish line will be dedicated as the LCpl Larry Wells Memorial Highway (see https://www.mthermonwebtv.com/2021/11/lcpl-larry-wells-memorial-highway.html). Thomas later provided an update on debris removal.
Finance Director Donna Graham, Public Works Director Ken Wheat, and Transportation Manager Donnell Merritt also provided reports.