Information about Bogue Chitto Park Bike Trails, along with a great video, provided by Toby Cortez generated a lot of comments of support at the Washington Parish Council meeting Monday (March 8, 2021) evening. The bike trails is expected to generate even more visitors to the already popular 1,786 acre park that features campsites & cabins, hiking, water activities and equestrian trails. The bike trail, described as a “world-class” mountain bike trail and consisting of fourteen (14) miles, will have a grand opening on April 10, 2021 and development will continue by adding an additional seven (7) miles. The trail is designed for use by those of all skill levels. (See the video beginning at 3:50)
In other business, the Council
- heard from Sandra “Candy” Christophe, candidate for Congress District 5
- introduced an ordinance supplementing the “NO THRU TRUCK ROUTES” ordinance
- approved a resolution appointing Troy Crain to the Washington Parish Planning Commission Board of Directors
- approved a resolution to apply for a grant through the Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) Program, funds to make improvements along the Willis Avenue corridor in Bogalusa
In his report to the Council (beginning at 27:50 into video of the meeting), Parish President Thomas
- provided an update on COVID-19 in the parish
- provided an update on the litter problem. Rayburn Correctional has begun trash pickups on state roads and parish road crews picked up 1390 bags of litter in February. Thomas suggested a Washington Parish Council Cleanup Committee to address the litter problem. Later in the meeting, Councilman Carley King volunteered and was named to head the committee
- read a Proclamation recognizing March 8th as Realtor Appreciation Day in honor of all our local real estate agents, brokers and all other branches of the real estate profession for their commitment to helping people fulfill their dream of home ownership and protecting private property rights. The signed proclamation was presented to Councilwoman Kim Wagner, a local realtor.
Reports were also provided by Finance Director Donna Graham (beginning at 33:25 into video of the meeting), Public Works Director Ken Wheat (beginning at 34:50 into video of the meeting), and Transportation Manager Donnell Merritt (beginning at 38:20 into video of the meeting). These reports provide substantive information regarding plans being made and work performed to improve Washington Parish.