The Washington Parish Council approved a resolution Monday (March 22, 2021) evening to authorize the Parish President to sign an agreement with Barriere Construction for asphalt overlay on Lanes Road, Wells Road, Mack Adams-O’ Berry Road, Bill Booty Road, Will Talley Road, Harry Kennedy Road, Fisher Road, C.C. Road, Carol Morgan Road, Lake Choctaw Road, Claud Nobles Road, Hammerstone Road, Pine Lane and West Choctaw Road. The project was made possible by a very low bid from Barriere (about $500,00.00 lower than the next lowest bid) and the availability of funds described in the Finance Director's report.
The Council also
- received an update from Entergy representative Patrick Hamby on their noise-mitigation efforts at the power plant outside of Bogalusa (beginning at 3:30 into video of the meeting). Hamby stated they are “on-track” with plans previously reported with start time of construction as end of August or first of September. The target level is 45 to 50 decibels. Questions and comments came from Council members and parish residents
- heard a presentation Ocean Behavioral Hospital representative Cadie Robertson (beginning at 18:20 into video of the meeting).
- adopted an ordinance supplementing the “NO THRU TRUCK ROUTES” ordinance
- approved a resolution placing a moratorium on the approval or permitting of all solar panel farms, commercial solar power plants or operations similar thereto
In his report (beginning 28:50 into video of the meeting), Parish President Richard Thomas
- reported on damage during the recent storm, including damage at the Mile Branch Settlement at the Fairgrounds in Franklinton
- provided an update on COVID-19 in the parish
- provided an update on addressing the litter problem in the parish
- proclaimed April as Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity Month
- encouraged residents to stay weather-aware by going to the Washington Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/WPOHSEP/
- reported on the FOCUS Franklinton community bike ride scheduled for April 6th
A very positive report was provided by Finance Director Donna Graham (beginning at 36:20 into video of the meeting). Graham reported that several fund balances were better than projected for various reasons. Public Works Director Ken Wheat's report (beginning at 43:15 into video of the meeting) included information about the asphalt overlay project and he updated the Council on ongoing projects. Transportation Manager Donnell Merritt provided a report (beginning at 51:00 into video of the meeting). Altogether, 859 bags of garbage were picked up in only two weeks; this, in addition to other work performed.